Monday, March 7, 2016

My Most Recent Favorite Books To Read With Kids #tcrwp


It's been a few months since I've blogged about my new favorite books as Principal and figured it was time to share the most recent titles on my desk! 

I'm constantly looking for new books to read with kids - ordering them, reading reviews online, trolling the #tcrwp hashtag, and also texting/Tweeting/emailing/asking my favorite literacy coaches for their recommendations. 

Here it goes.....


All the Lost Things by Kelly Canby is a great story about adventure and courage for a young girl named Olive! Love reading this book with kids, anyone will be delighted with her story!



Poem in Your Pocket by Margaret McNamara is such a fun way to introduce or reinforce poetry with your kids. I'm thinking about making this my March book that will focus on Initiative as our Character of the Month theme. So many students have poetry inside of them, they just need some help bringing it out.



Something Extraordinary by Ben Clanton helps you to open your eyes to what's around you in life. Make a wish, take a chance and see where it takes you!



Happy Birthday Madame Chapeau by Andrea Beaty is a delightful book filled with humor, some loneliness, friendship and fun rhyming that only Andrea Beaty knows how to do!



Little Tree by Loren Long is a fun story about the journey of life, hold on to what you care about and also know that not everything is forever. 


I Wish You More by Amy Krouse Rosenthal I actually read with a Dr. Suess book on Read Across America Day. It's such a sweet story and can foster really great conversation with kids. Many students at my school had some type of writing activity after I read - what do you wish for?


Stick and Stone by Beth Ferry was my February read aloud for my entire school. Our Character of the Month theme was Friendship and it fit perfectly in so many ways. Try not to focus all the conversation on Stick and Stone - Pinecone was a really important role and actually needs more help in the end.


The Little Lemon Than Leapt by Karen Sanders-Betts!


Spruce and Lucy by Todd Nesloney is such an awesome story from my friend and co-founder of Kids Deserve It. It's an awesome tale that will having you smiling and having great conversation with your students. 


Louise Loves Art by Kelly Light was actually the bookclub choice for my Kindergarten/1st grade group this month! So fun to read with kids that I ordered my own copy to read at home with my own children! Encourage kids to harness their artistic talent and see where it takes them!


Ada Twist Scientist by Andrea Beaty is only on pre-order right now and will be released in September 2016. I obviously haven't read it yet, but EVERY other book that Andrea has written is amazing and I'm anticipating Ada will be the same!



Playing from the Heart by Peter H. Reynolds is only on pre-order right now but will be released in April 2016. I'm SUPER excited about this book from Peter, can't wait - order it today!


No comments:

Post a Comment