Sunday, February 1, 2015

Writing Time #savmp #teamkid

This post has been brewing for some time now and I had to write about 'writing' at John Swett Elementary. Forget that Common Core calls for writing across all curricular areas, it's so much deeper than that!

Writing is......

- Powerful - see first example below!
- Thought provoking
- Relaxing - amazing way to reflect, don't need to sit in a desk either
- Collaborative - with partners, in Google Docs
- During math time in journals - explain your thinking
- Our students have KidBlogs and is a great way to incorporate writing in ALL areas, plus blogging is a career in 2015! Seriously, you can make a lot of money writing a blog! 
- Fun fun fun
- A HUGE part of Common Core

Check out our JSE Twitter for all the daily sharing!

Check out our Flickr page for all archived Twitter photos!

Our entire staff is on Twitter also, follow them for all the #eduawesome!


This letter from one of our 1st graders during Writers Workshop really kicked this post off!

"I really like skinny jeans. If they are not skinny I will have a fit. Today all of my skinny jeans were dirty. I did not like the pants I wore today. Skinny jeans are the best!"


2nd grader last week during Writers Workshop!



 Don't let anyone tell you that Kindergarten students can't write, especially in a super comfy chair!

 More Kindergarten students pushing each other to write! 
"I'm going to add speech bubbles!"
Go for it!

This Kindergarten student told me ALL about a trip to San Mateo he had. He tells me, "I have a lot to write about Mr. Welcome!"
Write on kiddo!


 This student - "Mr. Welcome come check out my writing folder, it's bursting with stories!"


 Kinder student - "Are you going to take a picture of my writing and Tweet Mr. Welcome? I hope so, my mom checks the John Swett Twitter during the day, she loves it!"

 Check-in with students about their sentences on the rug, then off to table groups on Hokki stools for more writing collaboration! 


1 comment:

  1. It's great to see the student voices shine in their writing! They are very passionate about their topics. How great that they see themselves as authors!

    ReplyDelete