Friday, April 17, 2015

Don't Judge, I Know You Are! #teamkid #savmp #naesp15 #tcrwp

My April read aloud at John Swett Elementary is Glamourpuss by Sarah Weeks. All I have to say, is that I'm SO glad I've found this book and am reading to our kids. 

- 'Pink????'
- 'Glitter????'
- 'Cats????'
- 'Diamonds????'

These are just the initial impressions that students have given me when I've come in to read with them this week, which is exactly what I was looking for!

Glamourpuss is an extremely spoiled cat that is waited on hand and foot. Along the way a small dog enters her life and grabs much of her attention. She immediately doesn't like Bluebelle based on his clothes and how he dresses. As time goes on, they come together, form a friendship and are best of friends!

Lessons for kids -
- Don't judge someone by how they dress, get to know them!
- Don't judge someone by the food they bring for lunch, get to know them!
- Don't judge someone before you get to know them, it's what is on the inside that counts!

We've had a really great discussion in our 5th grade classes especially about this book and 'judging'! Middle school next year is the perfect environment to 'judge' others as you have many different elementary schools coming together. There are many kids you've never met, have never hung out with and don't know what they're like on the inside!

Check out Glamourpuss for a great read aloud with your students!



Some of our teacher Tweets from my reading!
















No comments:

Post a Comment