Thursday, August 2, 2012

The Winning Mojo


It's easy and appropriate to grab on the Olympic/sports theme with the games going on in London currently, and sports for me has always been a great motivator and I feel many of the mantras can carry over to education.

I've recently started to read the Harvard Business Review and a great article came through yesterday which made me reflect and think about conversations I was having with teachers throughout the day. 'Ten Reasons Why Winners Keep Winning, Aside From Skill' had some excellent food for thought as we're getting ready for the school year.

My intention from referencing this article is not to say that education is like winning and we're trying to develop winners in the classroom, however many of the same motivational attributes or 'mojo' can really apply.

1. Good mood - positive thinking and a 'winners' attitude go a long way.
2. Learning - winners accept feedback and discuss mistakes
3. Positive culture of mutual respect - not just for staff but most importantly for students, so important!

Read the entire article for the whole list, what characteristics pop out for you!

By the way, great first day at the helm yesterday! My voice was sore from talking so much and mouth was sore from smiling so much, that's good mojo!

No comments:

Post a Comment